Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Not Just Carpenters, but Local Craftsmen.

by: Allison Q Guido, CS

Craig and I were fortunate to get to take a few days off over the Fourth of July holiday. We headed to head to central Vermont. As we took our Giovanni to some of the sites like Sugarbush Farm, Simon Pearce Glass, Danforth Pewter, Long Trail and Harpoon Breweries, the Windsor Farmers market, Frozen Memories homemade ice cream and Edgewater Farms I started thinking about how great it was to spend a vacation seeking out small local companies that are making things by hand.


I was so excited to see the skills and talents of these hardworking craftsmen and to be able to support them. We were able to visit the small, local businesses everyone is so hot to talk about these days. These are the companies and people who work in the companies that Small Business Saturday was created to support. They are the Americans making things at home, and giving hope to their employees and neighbors. In a world where we hear so much in the news about outsourcing, it was awesome to be able to stand in a small factory and see things being made.

2011 Team Outing
Then I realized that in many ways my team at Almar is just like all of these fine craftsmen. The skill level and dedication that the Almar team brings to each and every project is outstanding. Just like these various artisans the carpenters and tradesman I work with everyday are building and creating something unique and special.
In remodeling every project is different. There is no “cookie cutter” package. Each renovation is specially designed to serve each homeowner’s unique needs. Every home we work in is that “small factory.” And Almar is lucky enough to have some of the most talented people on the south shore to do that for our clients.

June 2012 Educational Team Meeting
When I sat down to write this blog I didn’t intend for it to be an editorial about how great Almar is, but I did want to share my realization of how special and talented the Almar team is. In a day and age where there is so much focus on locally made, grown, support local businesses I guess I always attributed that to farmers and craft makers but I didn’t fully realize how many other professions also fit that mold.   I have always been proud of my carpenters and remodeling team, but I am just a little more proud of them today as I think about the impact they are making and the legacy they leave behind at each home Almar Building & Remodeling has renovated for the last 53 years and counting.

No comments: